A Connecticut lady has died from the Powassan virus, which is spread by ticks.
A Connecticut lady has died from the Powassan virus, which is spread by ticks. A Connecticut person died of a tick-borne ailment that was unusual but potentially deadly.
A fatal case of Powassan virus was reported by the state’s Department of Public Health on Tuesday. Powassan virus is spread via the bite of an infected woodchuck tick.
According to health officials, the individual was a 90-year-old lady from New London County. In early May, she had a fever, changed mental state, headache, chills, rigours, chest discomfort, and nausea, and was brought to a nearby hospital.
She remained unconscious as her illness worsened, and she died on May 17, according to authorities.
In a statement, Department of Public Health Commissioner Manisha Juthani said, “This occurrence reminds us that homeowners need to take precautions to avoid tick bites now into the late fall.”
Powassan virus cases are uncommon in the United States. Since 2015, about 25 have been recorded per year.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently disclosed that a Maine resident died from a confirmed case of the virus in April.
It takes a week to one month for a person to acquire signs of POWV sickness after being bitten by an infected tick, and the virus can be spread in as little as 15 minutes after the tick attaches.
The virus causes most individuals to have no symptoms or a mild flu-like disease, but some people have a serious illness that affects the central nervous system.
According to authorities, around one out of every ten instances of severe sickness is fatal, and about half of those who survive have long-term health issues.
Fever, vomiting, headaches, or weakness are common symptoms in severe instances, which quickly develop to disorientation, lack of coordination, trouble speaking, or seizures.
The virus has neither a vaccination nor a particular therapy.
Insect repellent is recommended, as is avoiding high-risk locations, such as long grass, where ticks may be prevalent. To lessen the risk of infection, they also recommend checking for ticks after being outside.