The Foreign Office (FO) said on Friday that a senior Indian diplomat had been summoned to lodge a strong complaint against the Indian ceasefire violations along the Line of Control (LoC).
The FO’s statement said six civilians had been critically wounded in the unprovoked Indian fire across the LoC in the sectors of Nezapir and Rakchikri.
“Due to indiscriminate and unprovoked firing by the Indian occupation forces, 14-year-old Faiza, 10-year-old Seerat, 7-year-old Aaiza and their mother Sona Bibi, residents of the village of Degwar Naran; 44-year-old Abdul Majeed, resident of the village of Mandhar; and 22-year-old Muhammad Yasir, resident of the village of Kirni, sustained serious injuries” read the FO statement.
The FO added that the Indian occupation forces along the LoC and WB continued to target civilian areas with artillery fire, heavy-caliber mortars and automatic weapons
“In 2020 India has conducted 989 breaches of ceasefire so far,” it maintained. The FO said the blatant breaches of international law reflect consistent Indian attempts to escalate tension along the LoC and pose a threat to regional security and peace.
“The Indian side was called upon to uphold the 2003 ceasefire understanding; examine this and other cases of alleged ceasefire breaches, and preserve peace between the LoC and the WB. Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) to perform its designated role in compliance with resolutions of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC),’ the FO stated. India is trying to divert attention away from severe human rights violations in Indian occupied Jammu and Kashmir by raising tension along the LoC and WB, the FO noted.